Monday, December 10, 2007

Little town on the beltway

Saturday night was the long-dreaded annual Brookeville holiday party. I dread and fear this event for several reasons:

1. Even though I've lived here for nine years, hardly anyone in this town of roughly 100 citizens can match my name to my face. Jeff, who has lived here only just over a year, they all know. I mean, all of them. Here's to my forgettable face.
2. Brookevillians are not known for their culinary wizardry.
3. Half the town is over 80, and the other half is 30 with toddler children, so I don't really fit in either category, although I'm starting to have some sympathy with the former.
4. Our state delegate, who lives down the street and has known me for the last nine years, always mistakes me for someone else. Two years ago it was my neighbor's 18-year-old daughter (okay, not bad), and last year it was the 30-something mom of a baby (I must seriously have aged).
5. It feels like it lasts forever.

This year was something of an improvement. Chad and Michael, the local same-sex couple who recently were married in Toronto, sat at our table and livened things up considerably with tales of a bride they knew who had a cake at her wedding that was a life-sized replica of herself in her wedding gown. I wondered if the head was like the top layer, so they'd have to cut it off and freeze it to eat on their first anniversary. And that whole year, it could just sit there and glower at them every time they open the freezer for a bag of peas.

Also, we sat with other people whom we actually know, who paid our daughter to feed their cats while they were away; and while they didn't get Fiona's name quite right, they did remember mine. And of course Jeff's.

This year the delegate sat at our table and did not mistake me for anyone else at all. She did, however, mistake Jeff for one of the same-sex spouses across the street, giving herself away by leaning in toward him and saying in a low voice, "I suppose you'll think this is a bigoted question, but..." before squinting and realizing he was not Chad at all.

She's a good delegate. I don't suppose she has to be able to recognize people to represent them in Annapolis.

Meanwhile, the new residents in town didn't recognize me as the woman whose dogs occasionally run into their yard and infuriate them by barking at their dogs, who are safely ensconced behind their fences. These woman have fussed at me or Fiona on more than one occasion about this, but tough luck. Dogs on our street are always running into their neighbors' yards. It's the culture here. At any rate, these new residents must be better cooks than the established Brookevillians, because the food was better this year. Even the stuff that looked like dog food tasted okay. Whatever it was.

This year, I must make myself unforgettable. Suggestions?

5 comments:

Zeepdoggie & GringO said...

Unforgettable is dangerous, because you can never take it back. Besides, what kind of unforgettable are you going for? There are many, and I have been most of them. Do you want haircut unforgettable, stunned silence unforgettable, or "where did she put the pineapple" unforgettable?

Oh, hey, thanks for the link! I pity your poor readers who go from your fun and amusing stories to my inane insouciance to good taste. You can hear the heads exploding from here!

-Z.

Maggie said...

Nah, it's your readers I pity for stumbling across a mommy blog written by a woman who says nice things about her own husband.

Aimee said...

Unforgettable? Hmm. Maybe you could laminate a dead rabbit, put it on a stick and put it in your front yard as a lawn ornament. Then you could be known for that. I don't know anyone whose ever done THAT. I um, PROMISE...

Zeepdoggie & GringO said...

My readers know to expect the unexpected.

Anonymous said...

Still can't figger out how to use this thingie...Oh well. Hmm, lessee. Maybe you could whistle up the graveyard. You are the only person I know who would let an expired mouse lie in state until a proper mouse funeral could be arranged. I hope you are keeping up the primroses. My dear wangdoodle, if anyone is "unforgettable" it is you. XXOO
LMc