Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Please pass the corn

I love my in-laws. I realize I'm extraordinarily lucky here--not only for marrying a man who's as crazy as I am, but also for the fact that his own family is just as endearingly wacky. Who raises God-free vegan kids in Texas? They do! And I love them for it.

It's nice to have a family again. I'm basically down to a brother and a niece (and Fiona, of course), and I had grown accustomed to celebrating most holidays in a non-sentimental, practical, and non-traditional way. Thanksgiving had always been my least favorite--not because I have anything against giving thanks, but more because giving thanks is something I can do privately. Also, I despise turkey.

But now Thanksgiving is a lovely yearly reminder of the weekend Jeff and I got married last year. And Nearly Perfect Husband's family has taken us in and thrown their collective arms around us, and I feel like I belong to something at last. And they can indulge my desire to exercise, eat little or no meat, and avoid the G-word on holidays. Life is good.

The only problem? How the hell did I exercise every day, eat vegetarian (can't quite hack vegan), and STILL gain weight? I amaze myself.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

You are blessed to have great inlaws!!!

Zeepdoggie & GringO said...

I had great in-laws once. too bad their daughter and I couldn't get along.

-Z.