Saturday, September 8, 2007

Who let the atheists in?

Fiona and I spent our evening at a talent show at a Baptist church. A friend of Fiona's from the school orchestra had begged her to play with her because she didn't want to play alone, so we found ourselves at a Baptist church in Howard County, wondering if our godlessness radiated from us like the fires of hell itself. We dressed primly and smiled as sweetly as we could.

We wound up having a wonderful time. These were really nice people. Granted, there wasn't a minority in the bunch, but they were mighty nice folks all the same. They were relaxed and friendly, and I have to say, they seemed full of the spirit they believed in. The talents acts were young, old, silly, impressive, or simply just for fun. The pastor played hymns on his harmonica. It didn't suck. A group of teenagers played Christian rock, and they were excellent. They didn't have a singer, so the "Christianness" of the song was blessedly lost. An old guy with a cane, so frail that his sons had to help him up on the stage, told jokes.

These people weren't self-conscious--they were fun. At one point when Fiona and her friend were playing their instruments and got lost, stopping, blushing, a woman behind me cried out, "That's okay! Keep going--you sound great!" and everyone applauded. I could have kissed her.

One lovely woman was telling me all about the church and how kind and friendly everyone there was, and she rounded it off by saying, "And we really love the Lord here." I had no idea what to say in return. What do you say? "I'm sure he loves you, too"? "You can't have Him, He's mine"? I think I muttered something inane like, "Good for you." I hope she didn't hear me.

Of course, we didn't tell them we were atheists. Besides the fact that Fiona and I both don't like to discuss religion, we didn't want to stop the show and have them all rush over to us to lay on the hands and try to save us. Seriously, we're not in any danger. And I question the usefulness of a lord who keeps getting lost so that his followers must continually hunt him down.

But religion or not, we had a great time. And I can't describe how refreshing it was to be in a place where everyone was friends with everyone else, and where no one cared if the acts were actually talented or not--they just wanted to celebrate their community. Kids around here are pushed and pushed until they're all tiny prodigies or commit early suicide, but at this particular church, they were just encouraged to have fun.

No comments: