Monday, September 10, 2007

Sending out an SOS

This is serious. I have procrastinated long enough on writing the story covering the annual meeting. It must get done today, or Edie will have my head, and I will be the biggest hypocrite on the face of the planet.

I don't know why I assign myself stories at all anymore. I always put them off until after what any reasonable person would call the last moment, leaving Edie in a bind, pursing her lips to keep herself from saying something tart to me because I do, after all, sign her timesheets and approve her days off. I'm taking unfair advantage of the system.

So how do I fight this kind of writer's block? This is just a straight story on what went on in Philly--I could even phone it in and copy and paste some standard language I used in last year's story. But there's a part of me that wants to take pride in even the most mundane hack writing I have to do, so I'm mentally pacing back and forth trying to think of ways to make this piece sparkle.

Any writers out there who can give me a clue how you handle this? Are you able to let go when you're not feeling inspired and just write--pound it out, make sure it's factually and grammatically correct, and then send it out into the world to fend for itself?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try the book "Pen on Fire" because it has a lot of interesting exercises in it to "get people writing." I don't own it (yet) but a woman at a writers group I attended brought it and we did a few things from the book and it was pretty inspiring.