Monday, February 9, 2009

Pick My New Career!

Maybe it's a midlife crisis, or maybe I'm just having a crisis of confidence, but I'm just not the editor I used to be. Quite frankly, I don't even think I'm the writer I used to be, and I always thought I could count on that.

So I need a change. But what can I do? Honestly, nothing. I have a bachelor's degree in English. I'm lucky to be able to afford groceries. So what does an executive editor/director of news and information (yes, that's my unwieldy title) with more than 20 years' experience in publishing do when midlife hits and the same old same old is just...old?

You can be part of the solution! Send in your ideas of a new career for me (more schooling not a good idea at this point), and you will get in return--my undying gratitude! Does it get any better than that? I don't think so.

3 comments:

Jannavi said...

I had this a few years ago and really contemplated a change in my career. I considered event management, teaching, travel agency...stuff really far from my degrees of training...not sure those are some ideas that might work for you. R thought I was nuts :( I did not think it as mid-life crisis then.
Now I am really happy where my career is, but am going through this angst again, as in I feel like I can do more outside of...but i am not sure that is where you are going?
How about becoming Jeff's event manager, get him new gigs, etc? Someplace you can use your Ex. Director skills I am sure and maybe start a business of your own?

AJ said...

I've been advocating you open a poem repair shop for almost 30 years. Maybe it's time.

RHMummy said...

Lion Tamer